Aida's Adoption - Post-discouragement

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Dear family and friends,

You have made me cry. To sign on and see these wonderful pictures. Aida will beam when she sees them. Yes, I think it's a wonderful idea to post photos of the people who are loving her and praying for her from afar! Please do so!

I write now from a new room at a new guesthouse where I just happen to be the only guest. My in-country coordinator, Godfrey, found this room for me, and while it's a little more expensive, it is far far away from the wagging tongues. Hedda and I discussed all the options, including having me confront the gossip and remain at Aliriko's, but this seemed like the best option, given that I am a trusting person and also like to talk. And also because soon Aida will be able to come to Kampala with me and spend time with me here, and she could never do that around this woman, with all her suspicion.

I spent about three hours with Aida today, and have pictures to post in a bit. When I arrived at Bulamu Children's Village, I met Uncle Joseph, the director and founder of the village. He knew immediately who I was and greeted me with a big hug and handshake. He then took me next door to meet the social worker of the village, who also greeted me with a big hug. She told me that yesterday, Aida walked up the hill to her and greeted her with the joyful news that her mama had come to see her. This was so encouraging! Bulamu is built on a hill, with the offices at the top and the children's homes at the bottom, and between her heart disease and lingering effects of rheumatic fever, Aida has a very difficult time walking. For her to make it up the hill to talk to the social worker...this was huge!

I headed down the hill toward the large eating hall, the worship tent, and past several cows grazing near the path. As I got closer to the children's houses, I heard worship music being played and the sound of digging at the new house sites. At the very bottom of the hill, I came to the row of girls houses, and was greeted with a loud "Aaaaayyy!!! Aida's America Mama!!!" and then a shout, "AIDA! AMERICA MAMA!!!!" with a point to a nearby doorway. I pushed the curtain aside and coming down the hall at a very very slow run was Aida, with a huge smile on her face. The moment she saw me, she pulled her lips together in shyness and dropped her eyes, but she threw her arms around me and then grabbed my hand to pull me towards her house.

I spent 2 1/2 hours with her, hemming some pants, tightening the waistband, playing Uno, talking to her with the social worker, and trying on some shoes I brought with me (size 4! Yikes!). I opened my computer and put on some music for us to listen to (Chris Tomlin), only to have Aida open the movie folder and find the video we made for Sam's dedication. She watched it over and over and over and over, asking almost every time, "Pierre?", meaning "Why is Pierre not in this video?" I explained that this was made before Pierre came home, and her answer, "Hmmm..." with a shake of the head. :D

Too soon it was time to leave and go up the hill to my driver again. I prayed with Aida in English and heard her sweet voice talking to God in Luganda. Just when I was leaving, she blurted something out to her housemother, who stopped me to ask if Aida could keep the pretty sandals we brought her so she could wear them to church. I explained that I would prefer not because she must wear them to court and the judge looks at how we have dressed her as a sign that we are willing to care for her. So if her white sandals are caked with the red dirt of Africa, it may not be good. Her face fell, and my heart dropped. I asked her very seriously, "Aida, can you care for these well? Can you make sure they are clean and look smart for court?" She nodded, eyes still on the floor. I handed them to her and said, "Then I give them to you." She gave a short quick nod and then went off to her bedroom to put them away in her foot locker.

Ugandan children are not used to having so much attention centered on them. Aida sits next to me and I am constantly rubbing her back, squeezing her and she does not object at all. There is no stiffness to her body, but her eyes are always downcast and her lips pressed tightly shut. The house mother describes her as "moody" and will "always never talk". But the house mother can be quite aggressive in her manner of speaking as well, so Evelyn, the social worker, feels quite strongly that our family, with its open manner of speaking and enjoying one another, will encourage her to be the same.

Another concern of Aida's today was food. What will she eat in America? What if she does not like Mama's food? Today I brought her applesauce (called apple mash here) and she politely but firmly told me this was not her favorite. I took it away from her and gave her a roll of Smarties, which was obviously preferred. :D She took one roll and then asked for another for each of her friends and her housemother which she very benevolently bestowed on each of them as they came in the door from school.

I thank each of you for your kindness toward our family and your love for Aida. Today was a very very rough day and not one that I wish to repeat. I don't generally become homesick quickly, but there's nothing like aMean Girl to make you want the comfort of your own bed. I spent quite some time reading the many Scripture passages that you are sending me both here and in private message, and reminding myself of how *great* the Lord's blessings have been on us since we began to follow Him down the Aida path. Thank you again for your prayers and your hugs. We are eager to see what the Lord brings next, whether me returning home on Tuesday or Doug coming over for court. The next few days will tell.

0 comments:

Post a Comment