Baby-stepping to Uganda

Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Through what could only be described as an act of God, Aida was seen by a medical team from N. Carolina visiting Uganda. They were all in agreement that, while her heart needs to be tended to immediately, living long-term in Uganda is not an option. She was put on some blood-thinners, and sent home, and (hallelujah!) we have been told to ready our dossier. Courts in Kampala close next week for a full month, so there is very little chance that our dossier will reach them, our affidavits filled out and returned and a petition filed before Christmas break. Instead, we push to have this all ready on January 15 when the courts reopen.

We were able to send a letter directly to Aida, along with some pictures of our family. Here are some snippets of what was written to her:

Dear Aida,

Hello! You do not know us yet, but we hope to know you better! We are the Morris family, and there are seven of us! Doug is the Papa, Mary is the Mama, and the five children are Lydia (age 11), Gwen (age 9), Sam (age 7), Pierre (age 4) and Phoebe (age 4). Papa Doug is in the U.S. Army and works as a medic in the hospital. Mama Mary stays home and takes care of the children, makes meals and teaches them school.

Mama asked each of the children to say something about themselves. Here is what they said:

Lydia - "I am 11 years old. I like to read, and play games. I came from the country of China when I was 6 years old, and I have stayed with this family. They are funny and kind. I have had surgeries to fix my mouth, and the hospital where we go is very fun and the nurses are quite kind. We go to school here in our home. Mama taught me to read and write, and do math. My favorite times are when we travel. I have seen a lot of America with my family! It is my favorite thing to do! I play basketball on a team. I like to send boxes back to my old orphanage in China. I also send emails to my old Ayi and tell them that I am ok and I like my family. I hope I can meet you very very soon!"

Gwen - "I am 9 years old. Lydia and I are good friends. We do school together. I also like to play basketball and play outside. My mama is my teacher. She taught me how to read and now I am trying to learn German. I was born in Germany when my Papa was in the Army there. I like to travel with my family, but my favorite thing to do is to play in the small creek that runs by our house in the summer. There are no fish in it, but we can get wet and throw rocks. Do you like animals? We have some animals. We have four dogs. We also have a guinea pig. Do you know what that is? It's a funny little animal, with hair, and it lives in a cage. His name is Aaron. And then we have a very small little gold fish. Mama is very surprised the gold fish is alive because we've had him for 2 years! Goldfish don't live very long usually. He must like our family."

Sam - "I am 7 years old. I came from China to live with Mama and Papa when I was 4. I don't remember a lot about China. But, my chest used to hurt a lot. Papa came to China and got me and brought me here. I have had surgery on my heart many times, and now it's a lot better. I have a very very nice heart doctor and the nurses always try to make me laugh and give me hugs. And stickers. Sometimes I have to spend the night at the hospital and then the nurses try very hard to make me smile. Now I have a line on my chest where the doctors have fixed my heart. My family is funny. Papa sometimes pretends to be very stern and strict but then he starts laughing! Mama likes books. She is always reading, or studying. She is teaching me to read now. I am not very good at it, but she says I am getting better. My favorite thing to do is play with legos. Do you have legos in Africa? They are little plastic blocks that stack together. I like to make little houses and boats and airplanes with legos. I am also learning math. Bye!"

Pierre - Pierre does not speak, but he is a very happy little boy. He has cerebral palsy and just learned to walk. He is from the country of Haiti, and he will be staying with us because his medicine and doctor are not available in Haiti. Pierre does not talk, but he likes to show us what he wants. Usually he wants food!

Phoebe - "I am four. I like to play with my dolls, and with our new dog Abby. She likes to lay on my legs at night while I'm sleeping. Did you know that this last summer we spent a long time driving in our car and then we went to camp in the mountains for a long time? We had fun! My mama loves being near the mountains. Do you like books? My favorite time of the day is at night, after we eat, my mama reads us all a book. First she reads a book to me and Pierre, then she reads a book to Sam, and then she reads a big book to Gwen and Lydia. Then we all pray and we go to bed. Goodbye!"

Aida, we have heard that you were very very sick and need to see a doctor for your heart. Our little boy, Sam, also has some trouble with his heart and we go see the doctor for him every couple months. They are at a children's hospital. A hospital just for children! The doctor's name is Dr. Fiore and he is a Christian. Before he operates on children, he prays that God would guide his hands and help make them all better. He is very very kind and has done many heart surgeries.

We are a family that likes to learn. We read books, play games and sometimes watch tv. We spend lots of time outside looking for new birds, watching bugs, playing in the creek (when it is warm) and drawing pictures. We even have a telescope where we can look at the stars. That is one of our favorite things to do.

We have been praying for you to feel better since the very first day we heard your name. We would like to help you, if you would allow us. We are praying for you Aida and love you very much! We believe that God has a very special plan for you! We are praying you begin to feel much better!

So, soon we will find out if Aida is open to adoption or not. Either way, she needs to be taken care of medically, but we are praying that her heart will be prepared for having a new family as well.

0 comments:

Post a Comment