Aida's Adoption - Flight to Istanbul

Friday, February 24, 2012

I made it to Istanbul after a quite comical flight. When I boarded the airplane, I was quite excited to see that there was an open row of 4 seats directly across from me. When the flight attendant shut the door, I immediately jumped over to it and spread my things out. As soon as the plane took off (at 9:15PM), I took a new medicine the dr had given me for hip pain, and stretched out on the seats to sleep. I dozed for about 30 minutes and then the flight attendants came through with supper. While I was eating, I noticed an extremely pregnant woman diagonal to me, trying to get comfortable. So, while the flight attendants cleaned up the trays, I started talking to her, and I'm sure you can guess what happened. I gave her my row of four seats and walked to the back of the airplane to see if I could find another stretch of seats together. All I could find was two, up against a window, so I tried to get comfortable to sleep. I don't recall a lot between that and when I was woken up by someone yelling that they couldn't find their child. Rubbing my eyes and stretching, I tried to wake up enough to help this woman search for her little girl - how far could she go, after all? But what I noticed immediately upon attempting to stretch, was that there was a heaviness on my lap, and I was *so* hot. The cabin was quite dark, so I opened a window shade, and there, stretched out on my seat with her head in my lap, was a little Turkish 3 year old. I gently shook her awake and called the flight attendant who brought the relieved mama over to pick up her daughter. This little girl's mama was in tears and quite hysterical and couldn't understand, from what the flight attendant told me, why I would let her daughter sleep on my lap. I told her I had taken a medicine and I simply did not know that a child had crawled up beside me in the seat. I ended up telling the flight attendant that I have 5 children at home, 2 of them 4-yr-olds, and I am always sleeping with a child on me and never wake up if someone crawls into bed with me. So, she told the mama that, and the mama asked where all my children were. I said, "At home with my husband." And she "tsk tsk tsk"ed me and left.

0 comments:

Post a Comment